Friday, February 04, 2011

The Perdition - I



Part 1 of 3

I said to Caelan, “Let’s go out for a drink or a Shisha”

I could sense that he was reluctant to go out, but I somehow convinced him that from the time he has come down, he has not stepped a foot outside the house. It was like something was bothering him, and I was hoping when I take him out for a few drinks he will open up. So, we got off the apartment and flagged down a cab.

I gave off the directions to the cabbie, "Marina, North West Avenue, Cafe Mondegar" and I was telling Caelan about the awesome ambiance of the place and when I turned to see him, his face was ghostly pale, like it just got drained off of all the blood.

I asked him, "Dude! WTF is wrong?"

"Let’s go anywhere but there," he was alarmed.

"Don't be silly, it’s a pleasant place and you will completely fall in love with the beautiful oceanic view and the breeze."

I tried to cheer him up with some more small talk, while he just nodded, pretending to listen while looking away from me. So I let him be quiet for the rest of the way.

We entered Marina, the evening sky looked beautiful by the sea, like a thousand colors were strewn all over the horizon. Saw the faintest of a glint in his eye when he noticed the view, but he was still reluctant to get out of the cab. I felt disappointed, that I had to drag him like this, almost told the cabbie to turn around and take us back. He noticed my chagrin and got out of the cab for my sake.

A familiar face greeted us as we entered the cafe, I knew Nina far too well, but somehow she made eye contact with Caelan first and I saw a kind of strange fear in her eyes. I couldn’t comprehend what was happening around me. First him acting all strange about this place and now Nina, it was like the world as I knew it to be, had completely transformed.

Nina took us to our tables, which was completely on the other side of the cafe. It was like the VIP section of the cafe, which I did not even know it existed, although I was not complaining one bit, it had an amazing view of the harbor. We ordered for a pitcher and waited for our Shisha to arrive. The place was deserted and I could not understand why he was so uncomfortable and kept twitching and looking back over his shoulder.

He made me promise, one Pitcher and we are out of this place. I told him to relax.

Nina soon came along with our beer, she was generally a warm person but I could see that she still had that look which read I don't want anything to do with you guys. She was in a hurry and almost spilled the beer on him. It was so unlike her and I wanted to stop her and ask her what’s wrong but then decided against creating a scene.

Two pints down and the evening was nicely moving along, he looked more relaxed and started talking freely. Told me where he was for the last 2 years, lying low, learning his father’s business and how happy he was to come back home.

I prodded further “Why did you leave so suddenly?”

He just stared into the ocean for what looked like the longest time. He knew this was coming and there was no escaping from the tough questions. And just as he turned around to answer, his eyes were filled with horror. He almost fell of his seat as he tried to get up.

(TO BE CONTINUED.. I promise this time :) )

4 comments:

  1. been waiting for this =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got me tuned in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:12 AM

    I like the suspense :)
    Waiting for Parts 2, and 3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you guys liked it :D

    And nidhi, that comment remains null and void! :P

    ReplyDelete