Saturday, September 03, 2011

Enter the Dragon (Bangkok)


Its almost nearing my one week milestone here in Bangkok and Aug 29th Marks the three month Anniversary of my marriage. O boy has it been engaging and hectic but this post is not about marriage (Whole life to write and possibly crib about it) so lets not get into that now.
Sukhumvit Square
When I came back to India from middle east I never imagined that I would be heading out of the country so soon but as lady luck would have it, my company offered me a role in Thailand and I took it with both hands because I was starting to get itchy about Delhi and wanted to get out of there. That place is just not for normal human beings. Never in my life have I undergone so much losses as in my 4 months in Delhi NCR. People are just out there to find every possible way to squeeze you out with your money. Anyways, there is a good possibility that I have to go back to Delhi once this project gets done so I don’t wanna crib about it too much yet.
So here we are in Bangkok, my first time in South East Asia. Everything around here feels so damn weird, so damn new, especially the food. Its not like its my first time Outside India but it was relatively easier for me to adjust to Middle east because in terms of food it was more or less similar. But out here I am mortally terrified to try something new, lest it turns out to be some exotic and extinct species. As it is I have got the loosies because of the change of diet and which is proof enough that I have a super sensitive stomach and I curse god for that!  >.<
Here is a list of a few interesting things that I noticed out here.
They are known as "Taxi Meter"
1. They have Pink Taxi’s (Pukes). Also the cars here are really old, makes me think that Bangkok’ites are not into cars that much. In a very rare case will you find a Ferrari and a Maserati strutting by. And I think it is understandable, because the traffic situation out here in absolutely horrible. I had read about it before and thank god for the really planned and well connected metro trains, it makes life so much easier.  


Need a lift?

2. They still have two stroke bikes in this country :O and they are mighty popular as well which has its benefits as well, as in, they have devised a mighty effective solution for short distance travel. What they have is, mopeds stationed at every street which take you to wherever you wish to, for a small fee as compared to the taxis. They even give you a spare helmet, the only downside is that you have to hang on for your dear life while the dude squeezes through narrow gaps between cars and even narrower lanes.
They like to eat all kinds of balls, I mean literally!
3.  I don’t know where to begin if I have to on the topic of Food. Seriously, if I try a different dish every day for two times for the next three months, I still be left with options. For Eg: Yesterday for Brunch I had, Fried Chicken with Rice, Chicken water soup and for desert, Sticky rice with Coconut milk and Black beans. Beer later in the afternoon. Sweet coconut water(which was heavenly sweet and tons of coconut to be scraped off later), Plums. And then Chicken Fried Rice for dinner (The Thai’s give a bad name to Chicken Fried Rice that you get in India, It was the worst Fried Rice that I ever ate).
I think people out here eat very little. They just have small bowls of rice for their meals and little gravy on top of it, not that I am complaining. Even KFC has their local variant which has Shredded Fried chicken in various curries with one small bowl of rice (This is extremely tasty and in almost comes under budget food).


Tender and super sweet coconut water!









The ingredient that goes into their vegetarian food is absolutely horrible to say the least. And I don’t think Thai traditional Food looks even a little appetising. People here like to mash up absolutely anything and everything and they like everything liquidy, be it rice, noodles or soup. I once ordered Chicken Noodles and what I got was an entire boiled Chicken leg piece in a big soup kinda bowl and boiled noodles swimming in that soup. I was so perplexed as in how the hell is one supposed to eat this, with a spoon or directly drink it from the bowl and I was given chopsticks for the job!!

(To be Continued..)

6 comments:

  1. Krutanjali N.11:37 PM

    The pics dat u've uploaded, did u actually taste all that?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :P What do you think!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:59 AM

    You've uploaded SO MUCH food and yet you couldn't find anything to eat?
    What a waste you are! :-P

    And btw neither Delhi nor its people are not half as bad as you're making them look like. GET IT?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some Thai food (including the dishes in these pictures) make me loose my appetite for days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude, that's a lot of yummy food. Now I am hungry!!

    Hope the place is treating you well :D

    Keep rocking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @NIdhi If I was a carnivore like them guys, I would be heaven but sadly I am not :P And I stand by what I said about Delhi and you yourself agreed about it, Rem :P

    @Ashish Yes dude, I have a case of Bad stomach almost everyday after coming here!! :|

    @Pallav Considering you don eat non veg, I am surprised u liked all the stuff!! :P And yeah they have been treating me well (Massage parlors u see ;) )

    ReplyDelete